The mission of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
UNEP is an advocate, educator, catalyst and facilitator, promoting the wise use of the planet’s natural assets for sustainable development. UNEP works with many partners: United Nations entities, international organizations, national governments, non-governmental organizations, business, industry, the media and civil society.
What UNEP does
- Assessing global, regional and national environmental conditions and trends;
- Developing international agreements and national environmental instruments;
- Strengthening institutions for the wise management of the environment;
- Integrating economic development and environmental protection;
- Facilitating the transfer of knowledge and technology for sustainable development;
- Encouraging new partnerships and mind-sets within civil society and the private sector.